Whether replacing our good old dirty sink or buying a new one for the first time, it is absolutely necessary to know how to measure a kitchen sink. From washing hands and dishes to scrubbing beans and cleaning vegetables, we have to use a kitchen sink 10–30 times a day. So we should get the best possible sink for ourselves. But before that, we have to get the proper measurement right? Don’t Worry! The topic for today is: measuring the sink in the easiest way possible (and, of course, correct too).
I’ll start by showing you five easy steps to measure your kitchen sink. As sinks can be of different types, I’ll dive into measuring the undermount and corner sinks specifically. You’ll also get to know the size measurements of the sinks. Not just that, you’ll find other important stuff along your way.
How to Measure a Kitchen Sink
Before getting on to the beauty and features of the sink, you have to get the proper size. At first, it might seem to be a lengthy process. But after doing the research and doing it myself, I believe anyone can do it if they know the correct procedure.
Things You’ll Need
After getting all the things you need, follow these 5 simple steps to measure your kitchen sink:
Step-1: Measuring the Length
First, stand in a position where you’ll be facing the sink. Like, try to imagine yourself washing the sinks.
Then, to measure the sink length, put the steel end of your measuring tape on your sink’s left edge. After that, measure it across towards the right end. Note it down. This seems to be the easiest step for me.
Step-2: Measuring the Width
It is quite similar to the measurement of length.
Put the steel end of the tape behind the sink, just where your beautiful faucet is.
Now measure it across towards your end, right to the front side of the sink. Don’t forget to keep the measurement noted.
Step-3: Measuring the Depth
Here’s the part where you’ll be needing your ruler. I personally use a straight-edged ruler.
Lay the ruler across the sink. Then again take the measuring tape and put it in the deepest point of the sink.
Now here’s the tricky part.
After you’ve put the steel end of the tape to the inner bottom of the sink, drag it upto the ruler. Be careful about not making any contacts with the ruler(I made this mistake two times). This will be your depth of the sink.
Step-4: Measuring the Lip
What’s the sink lip? It is the gap between the counter edge and the sink edge.
Remember that this measurement will be around 1 inch. So if you’re having more than that, then you’re probably doing it wrong.
Before measuring, get back to your position where you’ll be facing the sink. Place the steel end of the tape at the front end of the sink(yes, where you’re standing). Then drag and measure it to the counter’s front end.
Step-5: Measuring the Cutout Hole
Remember when I told you that you’d be needing help from your friend? Well, that part is right here.
To measure the sink cutout hole, you will need to remove your existing sink. And to carefully do that, ask for help from a friend or other family member. Sometimes sinks are quite heavy, especially if you try to put them back on. Also, you might end up damaging the countertop. That’s why a helping hand is much needed.
After removing it, measure the cutout from left to right. This is the length. Then measure from the back to the front of the cutout. This will be the width.
Take note of everything and that’s it. You are done.
These steps are mostly suitable for common drop-in sinks.
Take your time and go through the steps steadily. Getting an accurate measurement is the target. Also, don’t forget to keep the sinks clean, whether it’s the new one or the old one.
How To Get The Measurement Of An Undermount Kitchen Sink
In normal sinks, edges are quite visible. because the lips or edges are usually attached to or over the countertop. But on the other hand, an undermount sink’s edges are not visible as they hang underneath the counter.
That is why, although the procedure is almost the same as above, if you have an undermount sink, first consider removing it from the countertop with the help of your friend.
However, I wanted to replace my undermount sink size within the existing countertop.
And I believe many of you want the same. For that, you’ll have to get a measurement of the minimum size of the cabinet. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Measuring Maximum Length:
- Measure the interior of the cabinet from left to right. This is the minimum cabinet size.
- Subtract 3 or 4 inches from it, this is the maximum length you’ll get for your new sink. For example, if the minimum cabinet size is 30 inches, then the maximum length you’ll be getting will be (30 minus 3) 27 inches.
Measuring Maximum width:
- Now it is time to get the maximum width size. To do that, measure the cabinet from back to front.
- Now minus 2 or 3 inches. This is the maximum width size you’ll get for your sink. For example, if the measurement of the cabinet from back to front is 30 inches, then the maximum width is going to be 28 inches.
Sounds pretty easy? It actually is.
Most undermount sinks do not have attached faucets to them. Where are they attached then? Mostly over the counters.
That is why my best suggestion for you would be to leave enough space behind your counter. Do that according to your rough calculation. In that way, you’ll be able to prevent any kind of problem while installing your faucets.
How to Measure a Corner Sink
Many people use corner sinks these days. In this case, you have to look after two things:
- To install a new sink, to get enough room on the counter.
- The pipe size that will go with the existing water line.
Here are 6 steps for proper measurement of a corner sink:
- Place the measuring tape on the wall. Now measure it from the wall to the edge of the counter. This amount is the lengthwise room you have. Keep in mind that the sink should not come to the edge of the counter.
- Now put the tape against the far edge of the counter and measure it to the ending point of the sink according to you. DO NOT FORGET to do it horizontally. This is going to be the maximum width. Keep a note of everything.
- Get under the counter.
- Measure from the end of the counter to the ground. This is the depth of your sink. Make sure to write it down.
- Not in a hurry! Get under the counter one more time.
- Stretch your measuring tape to the closest water pipe. Now drag it to the new position of the sink according to you. Although there are different kinds of drain configurations, it will give you a more or less idea about how much pipe to use.
How to measure cabinet size for kitchen sink
I hope you have no problem measuring your sink. If your new kitchen sink’s width & depth doesn’t match with the old ones, it is highly likable that you’ll have to replace the cabinet.
Here’s how to measure your cabinet:
- First, we will be measuring the depth. Place the measuring tape on the bottom of your cabinet. Drag it from the back to the front edge. This is the cabinet’s depth.
- Now we will have to get the width. It’s the same as the first, but this time it goes from left to right.
- This is an important step. After you have obtained, subtract 4 inches and 1 inch from width and depth, respectively, to obtain the sink width.
- When you are replacing the farmhouse sink, the height of the front of your sink needs to be measured. This is the maximum depth you’ll get for your new sink.
- Again, if you are looking to install a farmhouse sink (first time), you must make sure that the false cabinet drawers are removed. After that, take the measurement tape and drag it from the counter’s top to the cabinet door’s edge. Not over yet! Minus one inch. This is going to be the maximum depth for your new farmhouse sink.
- In the case of a drop-in sink, at the broadest spot, you must measure the width of the sink top. Then subtract 4 inches.
Standard Kitchen Sink Size Measurements
Usually, the standard kitchen sink size measures 22 by 30 inches (length by width). It is generally applicable to single or double bowl sink designs.
However, keep in mind that the width of the sinks varies because of the cabinet and countertop sizes. Normal kitchen sinks are 30 inches wide. In contrast, the small and large ones are 25 and 36 inches wide, respectively.
A lot depends on the number of bowls you use as well. Double bowl sinks have a width dimension of up to 48 inches. whereas the normal single bowl sinks, like the one I usually use, are up to 33 inches.
Want to know about triple bowl sinks? They have a width dimension of up to 60 inches.
Here is a common sink size chart:
|Size||Kitchen Sink Sizes||Bathroom Sink Sizes||Laundry Sink Sizes|
|Smaller||25 Inches||16 Inches||21 Inches|
|Small||27 Inches||18 Inches||22 Inches|
|Medium||30 Inches||20 Inches||25 Inches|
|Large||33 Inches||22 Inches||31 Inches|
|Larger||36 Inches||24 Inches||35 Inches|
Now you know the standard size of a kitchen sink. They are perfectly suitable for cabinets of an average size.
However, regardless of the type of sink you use, proper measurement is always required. Otherwise, it can become a big burden for you while replacing the sink.
I hope you got everything that you came for.
How to measure a kitchen sink? You know what to do. Just follow those five easy steps and you’ll be able to pull it off even if it is your first time.
Remember to check the cabinet size as well. While measuring, be a bit extra careful so that you do not damage the sink or countertop. If it is your first time or you have any sort of doubt, you can always double check the measurement.
Till then, take care and keep the kitchen clean!
Frequently Asked Questions
Standard sink base cabinets are usually 24 or 25 inches(from back to front).
A kitchen sink should be 7 to 10 inches deep on average. I personally like 8-inch deep sinks.
Why? Because they help in reaching and seem perfect to me for cleaning the fruits and vegetables properly.
However, many people prefer 10-inch deep kitchen sinks because they help with soaking pots, plates, pans, etc.
Well, it varies. They usually cost between $60 and $2,500 or more.
While you can get a stainless steel single basin sink for just $75, a double basin sink made of copper can cost you around $1000 to $22000. So it varies from material to material and size to size.
On average, homeowners spend around $200. I suggest you spend $300 to $400 once and get a good one according to your needs.
On average, it will cost you from $200 to $6600$.
It depends on the plumber and the type of sink you are installing. For example, top-mount and drop-in sinks usually cost less than undermount sinks.
An undermount kitchen sink with a cabinet is usually around 36 inches high on average.
On average, it takes around two to three hours. Keep in contact with a plumber before buying a new sink. That will save some of your time.